Sunday, June 9, 2013

M is For...

You may have noticed that I skipped a letter. I have a perfectly good reason for this, I assure you. I have a lot going on this month (events and even a trip!) and my letters for this month go perfectly with what I wanted to paint on my nails. My only problem was that the "M" event is happening before the "L" trip. So I decided to make this one exception and switch the letters. :)





The Tony Awards are on tonight! I'm so excited to watch it I can't even stand it. Every year I plant myself in front of the TV, so tonight will be no different. I can't wait to see the performances! They're my favorite part.

This years show is going to be a little different for me, though. I actually know all the musicals nominated for Best Original Musical. And when I say "know", I mean that I know what they're about and have heard the music. Being on the West Coast, I don't usually get a chance to familiarize myself with all the musicals. But this year they're all movie musicals. Meaning, all the musicals nominated tonight were movies that were translated for the stage.

And a side note on the designs, I won't be listing the materials I used in the text. If I did that this post would be WAY longer than it already is. So please refer to the bottom of the post to see which polishes I used. Or you could always ask. :)

My pinky is based on Matilda. You remember that movie, right? The little girl who has telekinetic powers and uses them to protect her school and get even with her ignorant parents. This is one of my favorite nominated musicals. I love it so much! the second I heard about it's premier in England last year I knew it would be great.
For the design, I decided to replicate the poster. A blue background with letters, which you can't really see. And a big 'M' for Matilda. It does, however, look like the Golden Arches logo for McDonald's... But just ignore that for now. XD

My ring finger is based on Bring It On. It focuses in the competitive world of cheerleading and team rivalry blah blah blah. This wasn't that interesting to me... considering I thought the movie was dull and the characters were over the top. But some of the music is fun... though I think it doesn't have a chance winning the Award.
As far as the design goes, I replicated the cheerleaders uniform! I used tape and followed this tutorial to achieve this look. I actually really like it. I think it's fun and really tells you what the show is about.

My middle finger is based on Kinky Boots. It's basically the story of a shoemaker who makes shoes for Drag Queens. I saw the movie a few years ago and was surprised at how good it was. And this show got a whopping 13 nominations this year, so I believe it is a real contender.
The design is pretty straight forward. Red, sparkly stiletto shoes represent the shoes they make for the drag queens.

My index finger is based A Christmas Story. Yeah, that cult classic holiday tale about the boy in the 1930's who wants a BB Gun for Christmas. I've heard about this musical for some time now and as I am a HUGE fan of the movie I'd been waiting anxiously to hear it. And when I did I was so happy. The music is wonderful and it really translated well to the stage. I really like this musical a lot, even though I think it doesn't have a chance at the award.
The design was a failure of sorts. My nail was to small and I couldn't fit the entire leg lamp. I have to try this again and do it right sometime! Maybe closer to Christmas or Christmas in July.

With my thumb I tried to represent the hosting city of the Tony's: New York! It's on my bucket list to see New York City before I die. (Gruesome, no?) I've just always loved the city and I hope to get there one of these days. I took advantage of my new Cheeky Jumbo Plates and used the Holiday plate with the Lady Liberty image and created a sticker using clear nail polish. My only problem with the image was that there wasn't a full Lady Liberty on the stamp, so I had to piece it together the hard way. But it seemed to fit together seamlessly.

And just for giggles, I thought I'd throw in a link here. Last year for the Tony's I did a West Side Story themed design. You can check it out on my DeviantART page through the link HERE.

I hope you all like this design and that it inspired you to maybe take a look at some of these musicals. :) Enjoy! 
~Samantha Rae

Interested in the other designs in this collection?
A-I / J / K / L / M / N / O / P  / Q / R / S / T / U / V / W / X / Y / Z
-----

Pinky:
Mesmerize by Essie
French White Creme by Wet N' Wild Wild Shine
Mellow Yellow by Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear
Lighthouse by China Glaze

Ring:
French White Creme by Wet N' Wild Wild Shine
Rapid Red by Sally Hansens Inta-Dri
Ring In The Red by China Glaze

Middle:
Merino Cool by Essie
Rapid Red by Sally Hansens Inta-Dri
Ring In The Red by China Glaze
Shoes Stamp: BM-213(Bundle Monster 2011 Set)

Index:
Starboard by China Glaze
French White Creme by Wet N' Wild Wild Shine
Mellow Yellow by Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear
Lighthouse by China Glaze
Black Creme by Wet N' Wild Wild Shine (Mixed with clear polish)

Thumb:
Rapid Red by Sally Hansens Inta-Dri
Ring In The Red by China Glaze
Holly-Day by China Glaze
Daphne by Julep
Lady Liberty Stamp: Cheeky Jumbo Plate 6 "Happy Holidays" (2013 Jumbo Plate Set)


*Polishes and plates purchased by me. The opinions above are my own and should be taken as such. 
I am not a professional.*

No comments:

Post a Comment